Senior Regulatory Economist - Permanent - Berkshire
Senior Regulatory Economist required by leading Telecoms Company to help develop and implement regulatory strategy.
- Analyse regulatory policies, develop a response and recommend a strategy to our senior managers. You will engage regularly with the business and represent the company in front of Ofcom, the Competition and Markets Authority, government and the wider industry.
- Be part of our Regulatory function within the Legal, Commercial and Regulatory Affairs Team that provides the legal and operational backbone of the business. They help manage the brand, protect their reputation, advocate their interests in the marketplace and deliver their message to customers, regulators, government and the media.
- Report directly into the Head of Regulatory. The overall function of the Regulatory team is to remove regulatory barriers to growth. As a market challenger, they needs to be proactive and focus on high impact initiatives.
- Key issues include the distribution of spectrum between mobile operators, increasing competition in mobile backhaul, reforming the mobile switching regime and lowering mobile termination charges. They bid in high profile spectrum auctions and are responsible for securing competition clearance of mergers and acquisitions. They also formulate responses to wider regulatory initiatives, such as government calls to expand mobile coverage, industry consolidation or fixed-mobile convergence.
- You will analyse regulatory and policy issues through information gathering from inside and outside the business, economic and financial analysis.
- You will manage external advisers (including consultants, lawyers, cost modelling and technical experts) to help analyse regulatory issues.
- You will advise the senior management team on the best response to regulatory and policy issues, including how regulatory issues may impact the business in terms of pricing, costs, proposition and investment decisions.
- You will draft responses to regulatory and policy consultations from Ofcom, Government, the CMA and the European Commission.
- You will engage with regulators, government, media and industry groups, presenting our position, keeping up to speed about regulatory and industry developments and developing relationships with key stakeholders.
- You will work with many parts of the business, including legal, communications, network, marketing, strategy and finance.
Qualifications and Skills.
- You will have a minimum of degree-level economics and wide experience applying economic analysis (competition economics and/or regulatory economics) to business, regulatory and policy problems.
- You will typically have worked at an economic consultancy, an in-house regulatory role or regulator (ideally, Ofcom or the CMA).
- You are commercially minded and provide pragmatic advice
- You balance strategic, big picture thinking with analytical ability and attention to detail
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills (including experience in drafting regulatory submissions) and are able to put together clear and concise arguments, advice and presentations that are tailored to your audience
- You are able to influence, persuade and produce impactful regulatory submissions
- You can work effectively with the wider business and communicate complex matters in simple terms
- You are able to build and maintain a network of contacts across the business and have experience in stakeholder management
- You possess excellent time management skills, including ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritise /de-prioritise quickly and effectively
Nice to have skills.
- MSc in Economics
- Experience in telecoms and knowledge of the UK and EU regulatory framework for telecoms
- Familiar and comfortable with technology
Please apply via this site in the first instance or send a CV with covering note to Fred.Cope@Porjectpeople.com
Project People is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.