Are you looking for a role that builds on your experience with engineering software or websites? Are you keen to learn, grow, and develop? Do you want to work in a nurturing culture where you can flourish and be your best? Would you like to work on services that are used by key client products and millions of people each day? If so, this opportunity could be for you.
We are currently looking for talented Software Engineers to join our audience data teams. We are looking for mid-level through to senior talent that have a passion for engineering software that affects millions of people every day. We are currently looking for people based in the North-West working in a hybrid way.
The clients world-class online products (Digital TV, News, Sport, Sounds, Learning and many others) reach millions of audience members every week and our audience data teams enable us to analyse, reason, personalise and engage with our audience. Understanding our audience is crucial to our ambitions to making a tailored for everyone.
Some of the key benefits you'll get from working in this role are:
- A variety of challenging work - our data teams work on a wide variety of different products and services that underpin, enable, and support our audience facing products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - we operate a people first culture and pride ourselves on your development. Our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification. We value our engineers, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as '10% time' - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
- Working with cutting edge technology - We are constantly looking to leverage new technologies to make our systems more effective.
You will be an established software engineer with a passion for building either web products, backend services or mobile applications. You will be working within one of our Agile development teams to deliver new products, product improvements and enhance our technologies. You will be supported by your team and leaders to deliver value to our audience with an eye on quality, scale, and security. As a software engineer you will be responsible for either helping create web pages for us to visualise our data, or the development of our services and libraries that support gathering data.
We don't expect you to have experience in all of these but below gives you examples of the technologies and practices we value:
- Good communication skills - a great candidate will be able to talk to other developers, to non-developers, and is happy to communicate with people remotely across multiple BBC sites.
- The ability to question the way we work, and the tools and processes we use. We work in an Agile way and area always aiming to make our team the best it can be.
- An enthusiasm for writing clean, well-documented, and testable code.
- Curious and embraces change - we're always learning new technologies and requirements often change, you'll enjoy this challenge.
- Goal oriented - you'll enjoy finishing the job by developing the final details.
The Ideal Candidate
You don't need you to be an expert in all these areas, only some of them. If you have a base understanding of the areas and their underlying principles, you will shine. So don't feel that you can't apply if you don't have all these skills. After all, you'll work with and be mentored by a friendly development team, and the BBC will provide many opportunities for learning as you progress.
- js and NPM
- ReactJS or AngularJS
- Mobile platforms (iOS - Swift, Android - Java)
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) and its associated technologies
- Continuous integration/deployment
- Database design and use in software applications
- Agile development
- Test Driven Development and testing practices
- Quality practices (incl. code reviews and pair programming)
- Working with other disciplines in the context of an Agile environment (UX, Product, Delivery)
- Working with stakeholders in the context of software development
Project People is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.