Senior Disputes Paralegal
Berkshire plus remote working
Main Purpose of Role
Reporting to the Senior Disputes Counsel and as part of the Property Disputes team, this person will primarily provide legal support to the wider business, in particularly the Estates, Operations and Acquisition teams, on property disputes and other litigious matters and help guide those teams on lease and contract interpretation, drafting and understanding of legal rights and obligations.
At a secondary level, the role will also provide support to other lawyers in Legal & Compliance team on other projects and will also perform certain administrative tasks, such as the co-ordination and initial review of all incoming post for the Legal & Compliance team.
What the role will involve:
Providing practical support to the Senior Disputes Counsel and Property Disputes team on legal issues including:
- Being the first point of contact for specific types of legal disputes (i.e. access issues, arrears and H&S issues); from specific parts of the business
- Delivery of low-level dispute resolution advice under supervision;
- Investigating and collating information in relation to disputes and organising responses;
- Drafting disputes related letters, emails and attending disputes related conference calls and meetings;
- Day-to-day management of certain disputes-related projects;
- Assisting the team with updating guidance documents for the internal Cornerstone and external supplier support;
- Dealing with various legal notices and arranging for external legal support to resolve issues in timely manner;
- Dealing and managing any damages claims by various third party or landlords with the support of the finance team, and external suppliers and Senior Disputes Counsel.
- Lease and agreement review and interpretation in order to advise on issues such as rent review, tenant rights, tenant and landlord breaches, etc;
- Negotiating with Site Providers and their representatives directly to resolve disputes.
- Lease and contract review and interpretation in order to advise on issues such access rights and equipment rights, repair obligations, tenant and landlord breaches, etc.
- Negotiating with Site Providers and their representatives to resolve access, trespass and out-of-bounds disputes;
- Liaising with site providers and their agents to enforce tenant's rights under the lease;
- Dealing with ad hoc queries on access and breaches by tenant and landlord, etc; and
- Advising on the extent of rights with respect to wayleaves together with drafting correspondences to site providers to resolve wayleave disputes.
- Dealing with land transaction tax notices on daily basis to ensure no penalties are incurred and tax returns are paid in timely manner.
Previous paralegal experience ideally in the property sector or in a litigation role.
University honours degree either in law or non-law degree (second class or higher) with post graduate conversion course
Skills / Knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work well as part of a busy, high performing team.
- Ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- A collaborative team player with good organisational skills and a proactive approach.
- Ability to communicate clearly and simply.
- Able to embrace change with positive approach to continuous improvement.
- Likes a challenge and a varied workload in a busy and interesting work environment.
- Computer literate with good Microsoft Office skills.
Project People is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.