|Job Title:||Lead/Senior C/C++ Developer (AWS)|
|Contact Name:||Alice Davis|
|Job Published:||5 months ago|
Lead/Senior C/C++ Developer (AWS) is urgently required by our Global IT Services Client, for a rolling 6-month home based contract.
Opportunity to join an application development team which is migrating a major solution to the Cloud. There are approximately 50 binary components (.exe and .dll) to port, of which approximately 5 use the database. These range in size and complexity from small and simple to large and complex. Most are written in 32-bit C, MS VS 6.0.
The successful candidate will be part of an experienced team. The role will be suitable for a highly experienced C developer to
- Port the application code to AWS, using the latest Visual Studio C
- Change the code from using Oracle Pro*C to use PostGres in the AWS cloud
The role will work as part of the development team reporting to the UK Application Development Manager as the lead for the Agent application set.
- Contributing to decisions relating to the approach to the recompilation with a newer compiler (e.g. balancing the risks and benefits of migrating to 64-bit, language changes)
- Implementing and testing the changes
- Proposing and implementing new test harness as necessary to validate the changes in individual source files and/or DLLs
Responsible for the design, creation, testing and documenting of new and amended programs from supplied specifications in accordance with agreed standards. The provision of application maintenance and support services, either directly to users of the applications or to service delivery functions.
- Produces high quality solutions and documentation, through the use of a structured approach, for problems with a high complexity.
* Makes a significant contribution to and reviews project and quality plans for large-scale solutions
* Designs or undertakes impact analysis of medium to large scale solutions or partial solutions.
* May be the principle Design Authority on small to medium projects/services.
* May manage a team including resourcing, performance management, coaching etc.
* Plays lead role in preparing for and gaining sign off of proposals/change requests.
* Is recognised as coaching and/or mentoring more junior colleagues.
* Contributes to solution reviews.
* Has identified and implemented strategic ways to exceed customer expectation.
* Fluently presents complex technical information to technical and non-technical audiences both orally and in writing.
* Communicates issues in a timely manner.
* Facilitates and leads team meetings as appropriate.
* Influences the final peer review sign off of deliverables.
* People from external teams come to the role holder for advice and guidance.
* Works influentially with the customer to discover, document and prioritise requirements.
* Adheres to corporate and local development methodologies as appropriate.
* Adheres to Corporate and local processes. Has played a lead role in developing and/or tailoring some local processes.
* Keep abreast of technology developments within their own specialism.
- Expert C language skills
- Capable of undertaking self-directed research using Microsoft documentation (and other appropriate sources) on
- changes between compiler versions, for example 32-bit to 64-bit migrations and the issues to be tackled
- identifying the changes required by the difference between the legacy C version and the latest language standards
- Experience of configuring compiler options, preferably in Visual Studio
- The ability to plan and conduct thorough unit testing
- Producing informal documentation for the changes planned for other developers to follow
- The ability to contribute to the planning
- Communication of progress to the technical manager
- Prompt reporting of problems to the technical manager
- Capable of working to tight deadlines
- Experience with
- Oracle Pro*c
- PostGres ECPG
- Microsoft Visual Studio V6.0 and later (or Makefiles)
What will I be doing in the first week?
- Familiarisation with
- the existing source tree
- the build environment
- existing build scripts
- unit test environment
What will I be doing a month into the role?
- Making the changes listed above.
- Contributing to planning process
Project People is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
Front End Developer - Collectibles
Location: Remote, USA
Software Developer - VME - COBOL, C++ - Manchester - Permanent
Location: City Of Manchester, Greater Manchester
Location: Remote, Global
Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
Location: Croydon, London
Salary: Competitive Daily Rates
Location: Remote, Global