|Job Title:||Device Architect - Applications|
|Contact Name:||Sara Rowe|
|Job Published:||about 1 year ago|
Device Architect - Applications. 6 month contract. Mobile Operator. Berkshire
What makes this role unique?
- The Devices and Applications team is accountable for all technical aspects relating to the variety of devices that connect to the Three network. This accountability extends to SIM cards and the application services that Three promotes. The team are part of the Network Solutions directorate which reports into the CTO.
- The role reports to the Devices Design Manager, who will provide overall direction. The overall team comprises approximately 20 people, of which half work in the device design function.
- This is a highly technical role with a strong customer focus, providing the leadership and technical competence to deliver excellent solutions. While there is likely to be limited hands on development, exceptional knowledge of applications development practices is required in order to make sure the optimal solution is designed to the highest quality.
- Key points of contact are other CTO design teams, CIO, Marketing, global engineering team, the various device vendors we buy from, the chipset vendors who supply them, and application service providers.
- You will also be measured against your ability to utilise resources from within the Devices and Applications team, and external partners, to deliver on the business technical roadmap.
- This role has no Opex and Capex budgetary responsibility. It has no revenue targets.
What does the role involve?
- You will be a subject matter expert, responsible and accountable for introducing new application technologies. This will involve understanding the roadmap of the principal technology partners, driving alignment of these with the network roadmap (and vice versa), managing technology trials, and transition to business as usual. A key element is making sure that Three`s technical requirements are internally agreed, properly documented, and fully understood by all relevant internal teams and by our vendors.
- You will technically lead a dedicated project or investigation. Depending on the project, this may cover any or all of the aspects relating to the interaction of the mobile devices from impact assessment through design, development, test, transfer to operations.
- Provide ongoing fourth line support for projects after transfer to operations.
- Manage effective internal communications, to Director level, ensuring that key stakeholders are engaged in planning and decision making, having regular updates with them, and managing their expectations.
- The role will be responsible for producing and maintaining technology roadmap documents and reference specifications for new mobile technology.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to other members of the team to share experience and increase resilience of knowledge.
- Contribute into cross-functional design and problem solving discussions on your projects.
- Play an active role in continuously improving the devices design process, and contribute to operational development activities of the Devices and Applications team.
- Responsible for aligning to the device design process, driving delivery through internal teams and external partners, achieving project objectives on time and to the specified cost and quality.
The type of person we are looking for
- Application service design and architecture
- Working experience in developing applications using Android Studio
- Working experience in developing applications using Apple Xcode
- Working experience of mobile development languages (Java, Objective C, Swift etc.)
- Experience of applications publishing
- Understanding of applications security
- Mobile device design and architecture
- Technical understanding of LTE & IMS
- Excellent technical document authoring and critiquing skills
- A strong understanding and ability to drive processes, document control and technical Quality Assurance Procedures.
- Confident and articulate, with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences to Director level
- Ability to influence multi-disciplined teams and persuade others, including external partners
- Experience in compiling and managing requirements specifications
- Extensive experience of design or technical strategy in your area of expertise
- Awareness of key factors that influence the business drivers for the business and our technology partners
- Strong problem management skills within a project
- Strong vendor management skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally with multiple business domains
- Understanding of mobile device test processes, logging, and debug
- A strong numerate degree
- Procurement process experience, from concept, through partner selection to contract signature
- Senior stakeholder management experience
- Strong coaching/mentoring skills
- Financial acumen
Nice to Have:
- Mobile communication technologies, including GSM, WCDMA, HSPA, HSPA+, LTE
- USIM and security aspects of cellular technologies
- Knowledge of battery measurement tools (i.e. Battery Historian)
- Understanding of software development processes
- Project management and organisational management skills
- Relevant post-graduate qualifications
Project People is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
Lead Infrastructure Architect - SC Cleared
Location: Corsham, Wiltshire
Oracle DBA / Oracle Systems Engineer - DV Cleared
Location: Hook, Hampshire
Location: Maidenhead, Berkshire
Process Engineer R&D
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk
Senior / Lead Java Developer
Location: Hampshire, England