Data Protection Officer
Maidenhead - 1-2 days/week
We are looking for an individual who has a genuine love of data protection, can think innovatively and provide practical and commercial advice in relation to data protection. You will provide specialist and practical guidance in relation to data protection laws and regulations to facilitate our client's compliance with the requirements and drive forward a culture where data protection is at the heart of their business.
Role and Responsibilities
In this role you'll do a variety of interesting and important things that are essential to the client operating in a way that enables it to be compliant with relevant data protection laws and regulations.
Some of the key tasks will require you to:
- Ensure they remain properly registered under the law and maintain and active article 30 register of processing activities, driving audit and associated data management processes.
- Monitor compliance with the GDPR and other data protection laws, and with our data protection polices, including managing internal data protection activities; raising awareness of data protection issues, training staff and conducting compliance reviews.
- Manage data privacy breaches or near misses, support the identification of the root cause, mitigations and monitor implementation to prevent recurrence.
- Advise on and monitor data protection impact assessments
- Cooperate with the ICO and be the first point of contact for the ICO and for individuals whose data is processed (employees, customers etc) or those who process data on our behalf.
- Identify and evaluate data processing activities.
- Provide pro-active, practical and commercial guidance and assistance to the business with regard to data protection matters (current and future)
- Build excellent working relationships with the various directorates to support their objectives from a compliance perspective from inception to retirement and to enable privacy by design at all levels.
- Drive compliance into its transformation programme, strategic projects, tenders, customers and supplier contracts, product launches and developments.
- Excellent understanding and knowledge of UK data protection legislation & regulatory regime, with a proven history of working in the field of data protection (including e.g. ISEB/CIPP/E qualification).
- Demonstrable experience in Privacy by Design, conducting Data Privacy Impact Assessments and Breach management.
- Experience as a DPO in a B2C environment (ideally Telecoms).
- Experience working in a fast paced environment and able to prioritise activities.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are essential; a people person skilled at building and maintaining relationships both internally and externally.
- Strong writing skills - ability to perform detailed analysis and write clear concise reports and advisory briefs.
- Proven ability to implement change and manage processes.
- Previous telco experience in a similar role.
- Law degree and experience as a counsel.
Project People is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.