Project People are currently recruiting for a Linux Administrator for a Global Telecommunications Company based in Manchester.
- To provide build & operate System Administration capability for Unix & Linux server platforms and associate technologies
- Technical support responsibilities extending to the European Unix/Linux install base
- Providing operational & technical support for Unix/Linux based platforms ensuring delivery of the following;
- Operational, initiative and project based activities
- 24x7 support for Unix and Linux based server technologies in accordance with business SLA requirements
- Participation with preventative systems maintenance, including patch & firmware management, vulnerability management & system integrity checking.
- Where required, administering 3rd party vendor hardware appliance based technology
- Participating on the on-call rota ensuring that we provide 24x7 support coverage 365 days of the year.
- Owning & closing problem & request tickets in Remedy [or in country ticketing system]
- Ability to create & maintain high-quality operational documentation
- Ensures updates are made for additions/amendments/deletions to our systems inventory list.
- Awareness of security & compliance policies and standards
Knowledge & Experience
- Demonstrable technical qualification or training certification associated with Information Technology
- Vocational experience in an enterprise sized environment
Specific Knowledge & Experience:
- Good commercial Unix/Linux administration gained in an enterprise sized environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to form strong business relationships across all functions
- Demonstrates strong ability to work under pressure with multiple competing priorities
- Experience of analysing, assessing and resolving complex technology problems and issues
- Deep understanding and experience of relevant technologies and systems
- Ensure the team processes, procedures and working practices comply with chosen regulatory standards (e.g. ISO9001, ISO27001, CAS-T, SOX,PCI-DSS)
Specific Skills & Abilities:
Proficient in the following UNIX and LINUX operating systems:
- Solaris : AIX : HP-UX
- Redhat : Oracle Enterprise Linux : Centos : Fedora : SUSE : Debian
Proficient in at least one of the following hypervisors;
- VMware : OVM : KVM
- Experience & working knowledge of TCP/IP LAN/WAN networking principles
- Experience of SAN & NAS based technologies & enterprise storage solutions
- Experience of client administration of backup/restore technologies
- Experience of automation tooling such as Ansible & Puppet
- Experience of shell scripting
- Ability to manage time effectively & prioritise both operational and project workloads
- Ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-Technical audiences of all levels using various forms of communication.
If you have the required skills and experience for this role, please APPLY now.
Project People is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.