Fibre Optic Technician/Engineers
Fibre Optic Technician/Engineers are urgently required by our IT Services Client for an initial contract until 30th March 2018 to be based in any of the following locations: London, Bracknell, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, North Wales, Chester, Crewe, Sheffield, York.
Responsibilities will include:
- Audit and consolidation of existing fibre estate removing any redundant or over length fibres, re-labelling fibre, and ensuring all fibre identified on site is documented and reported to offshore colleagues to enable the update and alignment of fibre inventory systems. Once a site has been through the audit process we will be installing new standardised ODF equipment, to future proof our future requirements.
- The sites will all go through a 3 Phase process with a short time gap between each Phase. The gap is for the offshore teams to complete a detailed analysis of the findings from the previous Phase, and define the required actions for the next Phase. Here are the requirements at each Phase.
Phase 1- Non intrusive visual audit to check and record what fibres are present at ODF. Phase 2 - Hand trace any unidentifiable fibres check for traffic length and remove unused fibres. Phase 3 - Under outage conditions remove excess length fibres and replace with correct lengths, In NWH remove and cut back unused fibres check all fibres are labelled to the correct standard. Skills required are; -
- Shall have an understanding of telecoms transmission having previously worked on fibre optic cables.
- Shall understand typical circuit labelling have good eyesight and attention to detail.
- Shall have ability to work with and under supervision of others has good communication skills being prompt and reliable at all times.
- Shall have basic knowledge of fibre test principle and equipment (OTDR, live fibre tester, fibre microscope etc.)
- Shall possess excellent attention to detail (essential as the role requires recording large volumes of key fibre data).
- Must be an excellent team worker and readily accept instruction from lead engineers.
- Shall have excellent communication skills (essential as the role requires constant communication with, and updating of offshore teams and schedulers).
- Shall be an excellent time keeper.
- Engineers must have completed a IOSH health and safety course (or similar) that covers; risk and hazards of working in head ends or exchange environments.
This is an urgent requirement; please apply as soon as possible if you would like to be considered.
Project People is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.